Monday, September 19, 2011

Basta Pasta

Finally had the chance to come back here after wanting to for so long. Like I remember, it felt like the best pasta I've had to date, and of course I needed to justify this.

Basta Pasta
It's always nice to see the open kitchen. Typical japanese where hygiene is something that they take care of very well.

Complimentary Starters
The exact same complimentary starters as last time.

Ravioli di Vitello, Proscuitto e Mozzarella
A homemade veal, proscuitto and mozzarella cheese ravioli with fresh tomatoes in parmesan sauce. The parmesan appeared to be a little oily from that initial taste, but otherwise it was reasonably well done.

Spaghetti ai Ricci di Mare
My choice of a light pasta meal. Spaghetti with fresh sea urchin, fresh tomatoes and jalapenos in a garlic hot oil. Serving size was reasonable, but somehow I managed to get through this pretty quickly. Either I was really hungry or it tasted really good... or both. The spaghetti was definitely done perfectly, and with the sweet essence of sea urchin spread across the pasta, it was delicious. One of my favourite pasta's to date, and this isn't served in many places.

Cloud
Couldn't say no to dessert, and I had to try the daily specials of grapefruit pannacotta with ricotta gelato. Now I originally thought this pannacotta would have an infused flavour of grapefruit, but instead... there were actual pieces of grapefruit. The presentation didn't seem to workout well, with the off whites on white... not great for photos or presentation. Taste was a little weird too, just didn't feel that the grapefruit matched the pannacotta right, nor did it go well with the ricotta gelato.

Bluebird
Luckily there was backup in a second dessert. Best when it's all there to share. This was the blueberry almond cake tart and honey gelato. Definitely a better choice. The tart was a lil hard on the crust and base, but otherwise nothing to really complain about.

I'm sure I will come back again... just a matter of time. I guess the main thing to note is that I'll be satisfied on the pasta, and not the desserts.

37 West 17th Street
(Between 5th and 6th Avenue)

No comments:

Post a Comment