Saturday, May 28, 2011

Nooch

And so it's been a while... quite a while in fact since my post. It's not that I haven't been around eating, probably just felt a little down lately and haven't bothered to actually blog about the food. But as with everything, memories are always there.

And so it was on one rainy night, that a few colleagues and myself decided to find something simple to eat. Browsing around found what appeared to be this funky thai place (it does a combination of both japanese and thai actually) called Nooch located in Chelsea. Unfortunately Nooch is now closed (for whatever reason I am not too sure...). This just means I don't have the actual names and details of the dishes anymore, just going off memory - one reason why I should blog sooner than later...

Nooch
It was the entrance to the place with a large image of someone's face, set against a dj table that gives off an interesting vibe. Excuse the photo in which I just couldn't figure out how to diffuse the reflection of the lights from the bar...

Nooch
It's not actually a large place with only a few tables and some seats at the bar. But nonetheless, sufficient. Possibly due to the rain, there wasn't that many customers there - and the ones there... were typical local chelsea residents, making us feeling slightly out of place.

Special Martini
I opted to try for their special martini to start the night. It doesn't actually list out what's in it, and I guess that's part of the mysterious fun. Even after trying, still didn't really know what was mixed together - but it went down smoothly.

Spring Rolls
Some spring rolls to start with sweet chilli sauce. Crispy on the outside and nothing to really write home about. Reasonable and satisfying, but the sweet chilli sauce was just, maybe a little too sweet?

Grilled Beef
Grilled beef with peanut sauce. The beef felt way over done for what I believe it should be, but the peanut sauce was nice and I much preferred this over the sweet chilli sauce.

Deep Fried Wontons
Deep fried wontons with the same sweet chilli sauce. Much preferred this over the spring rolls, probably due to the filling. This had much more flavour to it and didn't have to rely on the sauce.

Singaporean Laksa
Singaporean laksa that I went for. I haven't actually had laksa for quite a long time, and my main memories are that of room service back at the westin many years ago. This laksa came with egg noodles, sliced chicken, shrimp, tofu, fish cake, quail eggs and shrimp paste. The broth had nice flavour - but I wasn't too impressed with the noodles themselves. Quail eggs are always great when not overdone - and this was good.

Chef's Special Fish Curry
One of my colleagues went with the chef's special fish curry. For what it is, this was quite a large serving! I got to taste some and the flavour was decent and fish was cooked through nicely. Probably a bit too much flavour when having that alone for the whole dish I thought.

Bah Mee Keow Gai Wonton Noodles
Egg noodles in chicken broth, with shrimp and chicken wontons. Visually looked fine, but seemed to lack some flavour in the actual wontons. I'd still recommend finding a small canton cafe for good wontons though - yet to find one here.

Overall a nice simple casual meal for dinner. Nothing over the top, with some funky background and bar available. Looks like I won't be able to come back here even if I wanted to...

143 8th Avenue
(Between 17th and 18th Street)

No comments:

Post a Comment