Monday, April 25, 2011

Blaue Gans

Austrian... was something different to go for after all this time here. Probably one of the few cuisines that I've yet to indulge into.

Blaue Gans
Wasn't a large joint, and the vintage posters cover all the walls with the mirrors making it feel much larger than it really is. Definitely has the vibe of an austrian/german hall. The menu isn't extensive, but would be sufficient. Blaue Gans translates to blue goose but there is no blue goose on the menu... and I'm not too sure on its reference.

Blood Sausage
Blood sausage with fingerling potatoes and sauerkraut. It was topped off with a hint of wasabi. Wasn't what I was expecting of a blood sausage, especially in the way it was presented. Couldn't exactly taste much of the sausage unless you scooped out a bit by itself. Unfortunately it was overpowered by the sauerkraut. That said, the sauerkraut packed a punch. Although I'm not a great fan of sauerkraut, this was pretty good.

Jager Schnitzel
Jager schnitzel with mushrooms, bacon and fresh herbs. Again, this wasn't what I expected of a schnitzel (probably from the way they've usually been done back home). It appeared much "healthier" without the deep fried crumbs all over it... and the schnitzel itself, I would say I'm liking it. It wasn't dry and the cream sauce gives it enough flavour without being over powering.

Chocolate Bomb with Pistachio Ice Cream
A chocolate mousse bomb and pistachio ice cream. This literally was a bomb... layers upon layers of chocolate with a gold leaf to top it off. Upon cracking open the first layer, you are presented with a rich chocolate mousse set over chocolate biscuits and bread. The pistachio and broken crumbs of pistachio definitely do well to break up the rich chocolate. This is definitely much more than I wanted or expected at the end of the meal. A little too much and rich for me, and probably would have been better had I skipped on the starter.

Blue goose, although I didn't get to try or see one... the food was commendable. Impressed and liked the schnitzel but the blood sausage was a bit lacking. With a few other items on the menu that looks appealing, I'm guessing I could come back for more. The down side...  the service. It wasn't great, and lacked attention to you. They definitely took their time to serve and take your orders... which doesn't go very well when you are hungry.

139 Duane Street
(Between Church Street and West Broadway)

No comments:

Post a Comment