Sunday, April 10, 2011

KoKo

A new asian fusion restaurant recently opened up literally next door. I've been seeing it go through construction, and renovation and now finally its grand opening. The decorations outside was a little cheesy...  but this could potentially be my true local.

KoKo
It's actually quite spacious and nicely decorated. I'm always a little wary of the "asian fusion" places, as they usually have disappointed. This was a fusion between chinese and japanese. The decor was more chinese, but you could see one of the chef's dressed in japanese style clothing.

KoKo
Having come in here for a quick brunch before heading out, it was amazing quite... empty. However during the meal, there was a few others who did drop by (but they seemed to be invited by the owner as part of his opening).

Wonton Noodles with BBQ Pork
I could overhear the staff and owner speak mandarin, and that kinda made me a little biased. So I decided to go with chinese as it would be "safer" and less likely to disappoint. I chose a pretty standard wonton noodle with bbq pork. Serving size was generous, served out a little classier than expected.

But I guess this is where it went a little wrong? Wonton noodles is more of a canto meal, and the soup lacked some flavour. It was too bland. The BBQ Pork, well that wasn't fresh and again lacked the marinate on the pork as you'd normally expect. The wontons, didn't have the typical prawns mixed in to give it the extra sweetness and flavour. The noodles, was too soft and had that soapy taste. It's not as bad as I've made it to sound, but having access to really good wontons and noodles back home, I guess I just miss that. Overall, it's reasonable and with not much selection in this side of town - it will have to do.

120 Greenwich Street
(Corner Carlisle Street)

No comments:

Post a Comment