Wednesday, August 31, 2011

HK Wonton Garden

It's been a while since getting the chance to have some nice chinese food, especially just simple stuff like noodles. During my cravings, I was recommended to try this wonton place in chinatown - apparently the best in chinatown here.

Beef Tendons and Wontons
Upon arriving, it indeed is just a little place. With mainly 2 seaters and 4 seaters. At the front was some bbq pork and roast duck hanging on the shelves. It's been so long since wonton, and since this had the great option of beef tendons with wontons and noodles, of course that would be my first pick. To my surprise, I enjoyed the soup and beef tendons. There was also a generous servings of wontons. The issue I found was that the shrimp meat in the wontons were too salty (a hint that it wasn't too fresh??). The noodles were fine, not too soggy and no soap flavour! To top it off, I ordered a soy milk as well, but to my disappointment it was only pre-packaged ones. A nice little touch that I liked was that red vinegar was readily available to add to the soup =)

BBQ Pork, Roast Duck and Wontons
With my craving not settled, I decided to come back again the next day! This time I went a little overboard and went with bbq pork, roast duck and wontons with noodles. Probably a bit of an overkill, as they didn't cut down on the serving size. Although I still feel that the bbq pork and roast duck still isn't as good as what I've had back home, this was relatively satisfying =) Even better today was that the wontons actually tasted quite a lot better. None of that salty flavoured shrimp, and texture was indeed a lot better. I guess yesterday was just a bad batch...

Overall I can say that this is my new little found favourite noodle place. A cheap and quick meal that will always be satisfying. Next few times will be trying all the other combinations available =)

79 Mulberry Street
(Between Bayard and Walker Street)

No comments:

Post a Comment