Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Regional Thai

It's been a while since having thai food, and even so, it's only been to very few places. Regional thai was nothing fancy, but more of a nice casual and comforting restaurant to satisfy that craving.

Starters
A complimentary starter - which I do not know the name of... Essentially thin deep fried batter? but covered in some sweet sauce. With the sauce unevenly spread around, it was a little too much in certain areas but otherwise an interesting way to start the evening.

Sangria
Unfortunately it's been too long since I went to regional thai, and I don't exactly remember what I ordered to drink (I do think it was sangria...). I do remember that it was served up in an interesting mug (yes and this was just for 1 serving). What I also remember is how strong it was... but it was refreshing in a way.

Royal Mixed Satay
A starter of mixed satay consisting of shrimp, chicken and beef with classic peanut dipping sauce. Somehow the beef turned out to be the winner here. The chicken was just too dry, and shrimp was a little overcooked. The peanut sauce was good, but a little overpowering when too much is applied.

Assorted Dim Sums
An assorted sampler of appetisers. Definitely an interesting presentation of dim sums, especially not knowing what each of them were. I was definite that it wasn't going to be anything exotic, but it would have been nice to know what each of them were before eating.

Tropical Mango Spiced Noodles
I opted for the recommended special of tropical mango spiced noodles. King prawns and sea scallops over spiced angel hair, with thin slices of mango on the side. I was definitely impressed by this combination. The spicy noodles wasn't the highlight, and the spice provided a little bit of a weird flavour. The ripened mangoes were sweet, with the fresh seafood flavour to contrast the spicy noodles. I much enjoyed the sauce and seafood than the noodles, but it was a weird type of refreshingness to the meal.

Unfortunately (somehow it's always the case) that I missed happy hour... in which it serves unlimited drinks for a fixed price. I'm sure it would have been great if I was there for that (to a certain degree?). But it definitely provides a relaxing environment to sit and chill for the night. Food is more than reasonable, given the price and is worth visiting.

208 7th Avenue
(Between 21st and 22nd Street)

No comments:

Post a Comment